After spending fourteen years studying cello at home and several of my high-school years traveling to pursue my musical education abroad in the U.S. and Europe, I am currently completing my first year at the Royal College of Music (RCM) in London.
Extended family, friends, other supporters and I have worked hard to make this current school year possible; I spent my first year in London through a combination of savings, competition winnings, freelance work, crowdsourcing, fundraising concerts, student loans and a modest scholarship from the RCM. Coming to study in the UK has been the right choice for me developmentally, and my freshman year has been incredibly formative and valuable. I have benefitted from the highest level teaching, a world-class musical environment, the rewards of a highly international student population, and incredible opportunities for performance, research and collaborative engagement.
I now need help to be able to continue my studies at the RCM. Financial support will mean the difference between carrying out my artistic development uninterrupted with the mentorship of my long-term teacher, and ending my course of study here. Receiving contributions and/or sponsorship will enable me to pursue my highest goals and give me a degree of security, allowing me to continue dedicating my time and attention to the work which drives me.
What I’m doing to raise money:
- Playing music: freelancing, giving fundraising concerts, busking, and anything else that comes my way
- Entering Competitions with monetary prizes
- Applying for merit and need based scholarships and grants.
- Selling my artwork and handmade jewelry
How you can help me:
- Donate! I have a page over at Go Get Funding, I have a permanent mailing address in the US, and the RCM will accept contributions towards my account (which can be made directly to the school).
- Spread the word. If you know anyone in London or the US who likes to support the arts, anyone who wants to assist local students from the New River Valley or the wider Appalachian area, anyone who believes in the importance of experience abroad… pass this site along! Thank you!
I have pursued an education here fully aware of the obstacles because it is the right path for me developmentally and for my future in classical music. As with so many young musicians, my college years are – and will be – pivotal as I grow as an individual and as a cellist; the chance to continue these years in Europe promises experiences that will broaden and enrich my musicianship and understanding of the role of the artist in society across cultures.
My parents have supported me financially so far, enabling my learning opportunities, but my family is in no position to afford college fees. As the student loan debt in the US surpasses $1 trillion, I am trying my hardest not to become part of that statistic. I ask that you please consider contributing what you can, and share my information with people you know even if you can’t contribute. Everyone helping me complete my education in London has my sincere gratitude and I will thank you as I am able, both now and later as I continue my travels, education, life as a musician, visual artist, and participant in public life!
Thank you! If you have questions, comments, or ideas about how I can reach my goal, I would love to hear from you. firstname.lastname@example.org.
London Address: 220-238 Goldhawk Road, London, W12 9PL
US Address: P.O. Box 72, Eggleston VA, 24086
School address: Royal College of Music, Prince Consort Road, London SW7 2BS